[Wallabag] Docker upgrade 2.3.8. to 2.4.2

Just did an upgrade for Wallabag from Version 2.3.8 to 2.4.2. So I opened my docker-compose.yml and changed the image version and ran docker-compose up -d

version: '3'
services:
  wallabag:
    image: wallabag/wallabag:2.4.2
    container_name: wallabag-app
    restart: unless-stopped
    environment:
      - MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD=${MARIADB_ROOT_PASSWORD}
      - SYMFONY__ENV__DATABASE_DRIVER=pdo_mysql
      - SYMFONY__ENV__DATABASE_HOST=wallabag-db
      - SYMFONY__ENV__DATABASE_PORT=3306
      - SYMFONY__ENV__DATABASE_NAME=wallabag
      - SYMFONY__ENV__DATABASE_USER=${MARIADB_USER}
      - SYMFONY__ENV__DATABASE_PASSWORD=${MARIADB_PASSWORD}
      - SYMFONY__ENV__DATABASE_CHARSET=utf8mb4
      - SYMFONY__ENV__MAILER_HOST=${WALLABAG_MAILER_HOST}
      - SYMFONY__ENV__MAILER_USER=~
      - SYMFONY__ENV__MAILER_PASSWORD=~
      - SYMFONY__ENV__FROM_EMAIL=${WALLABAG_FROM_EMAIL}
      - SYMFONY__ENV__DOMAIN_NAME=${WALLABAG_DOMAIN_NAME}
    depends_on:
      - wallabag-db
    volumes:
      - /opt/containers/wallabag/images:/var/www/wallabag/web/assets/images
    networks:
      - proxy

  wallabag-db:
    image: mariadb
    restart: unless-stopped
    container_name: wallabag-db
    environment:
      - MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD=${MARIADB_ROOT_PASSWORD}
    volumes:
      - /opt/containers/wallabag/data:/var/lib/mysql
    networks:
      - proxy

networks:
  proxy:
    external: true

But somehow after the upgrade my container won’t come back online. Although the log was saying “Provisioner finished”, it could not connect to the database. When opening the webpage for wallabag the docker logs said: “…unable to parse the MySQL grant string: GRANT USAGE ON entrypoint.sh TO wallabag@% IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD…”

After searching on google I finally found this note on the Wallabag Github page….

“If there is a version upgrade that needs a database migration. The most easy way to do is running the migrate command:”

docker exec -t wallabag-app /var/www/wallabag/bin/console doctrine:migrations:migrate --env=prod --no-interaction

After running the db migration everything came back online. So this post is just a reminder for myself that sometimes Wallabag needs a db migration after upgrading. 🙂